At the end of 19th century, with the great co-operation of public belonged to Kallidaikurichi, Sri Moorthy Rao founded a school at North Car Street. It was headed by Sri. C. Subbaiah the then HeadMaster. They toiled more to get government recognition. In 1894, it was shifted to Ekambarapuram street. At that time Sri.S.S.Subbaiah Iyer worked as administrator and Sri. K.P.Ramaswamy Iyer headed over the school. It developed and grew with the name of "The Hindu Lower Secondary School".
In 1912, it was shifted to the place where it is currently functioning. With Govt aid a building was constructed. By Govt order it was submitted to a five member comittee. The name of the school was changed to "The George V Cornation Middle School". In 1919, the Govt recognized the school administrative comittee and it was named as "The Vidya Sangam". In 1921, it faced turmoil as the administrators and teachers who had the real feeling of freedom struggle, called the school as "Tilak Vidyalaya" and gave a national freedom education .
The British Govt got angry and cancelled its recognition.It stopped its grant to school. In this circumstance many national leaders praised the greatness of the school. But it struggled more without Govt's grant. At that period many people helped timely. After getting Govt recognition its name was changed again to "The George Middle School". In 1945, with the strenuous efforts of the members of Vidya Sangam,School comittee it was upgraded as High School.
On Independence Day,1947, as a symbolic representation of freedom it was again named as Tilak Vidyalaya.It renders the academic service to the society with more than 2000 students with the support of 55 teachers and 12 office staffs..